From the appendix of The Story of the Irish Citizen Army by Seán O’Casey, published 1919.
WHY IRISH WORKERS SHOULD NOT JOIN THE NATIONAL VOLUNTEERS!
- Because many members of the Executive are hostile to the workers.
- Because it is controlled by the forces that have always opposed Labour.
- Because many of its officials have locked out their workers for asserting their right to join the Trades Union of their choice.
- Because they refuse to definitely declare that they stand for the Democratic principles of Wolfe Tone and John Mitchel.
- Because they welcome into their organisation creatures that are proved renegades to their own class.
REASONS WHY WORKERS SHOULD JOIN THE IRISH CITIZEN ARMY.
- Because it is controlled by Leaders of your own class.
- Because it stands for Labour and the principles of Wolfe Tone, John Mitchel and Fintan Lalor.
- Because it has the sympathy and support of the Dublin Trades Council.
- Because it refuses to allow in its ranks those who have proved untrue to Labour.
WORKERS, don’t be misled; trust only those you know and have suffered for your class.
JOIN THE CITIZEN ARMY NOW!